Hello Philadelphia School District parents and welcome to our Summer Extended School Year program! We are excited to serve your students.
Definition: Teletherapy is when speech therapy, occupational therapy and/or physical therapy are provided using online video conferencing on a computer. Services are provided at a distance by connecting the therapist to the student using various digital activities to target their IEP goals. Teletherapy, for some children, can be just as effective as a traditional model.
SUGGESTIONS FOR A SUCCESSFUL THERAPY SESSION
Your therapist will contact you via email and/or phone (introductions, questions/invite information)
Review participation expectations with your child before each therapy session
Please have the computer set up in a quiet part of your home and ask other family members to use quiet voices and low volume on electronics while the session is in progress.
Make sure your computer is plugged into a power source during the session.
Make sure your device’s microphone and webcam are turned on
Try doing a ‘practice’ log in before your child’s first session to familiarize yourself with the video conferencing layout.
Depending on your child’s age and needs, you may be required to stay with your child during their session to assist with any technical issues and/or help support them with tasks or behavior. Your support is vital to a successful teletherapy session
Make sure your child has eaten and used the bathroom before he/she starts his/her session.
You are a critical part to your child’s therapy success. Questions are always welcome, keep a notebook or your phone handy during the session and write down any questions, following the session, send your therapist an email with your questions. While the therapist would love to answer questions during the session, they must be respectful of each student’s scheduled therapy time.
OUR THERAPISTS ARE EXCITED TO SHARE THIS FUN AND ENGAGING
TELETHERAPY PLATFORM WITH YOUR CHILD!
All services provided this Summer will be presented online. To participate you will need:
- A Chromebook issued by the Philidelphia School District
- or a Windows, Macintosh, or Chrome computer or iPad
- A reasonably fast internet connection (if you are able to use services like Netflix you should be fine).
- You may also use a cell phone, though the small screen can limit interactions between your child and the therapist. Please note that connections with video require a great deal of data. Unless you have an unlimited amount of cell data, it is highly recommended that you only participate in therapy when you phone is connected to wifi.
- The platform we are using to deliver therapy services uses your computer's internet browser and does not require you to download anything onto your computer. Our platform will work with Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Edge browsers. It will not work with older versions of Internet Explorer.